Can I get visitation rights as a Grandparent?

Virginia does not have any specific laws that address Grandparent visitation. Instead, Virginia deals with all custody and visitation under several general laws. Basically any person who has a "legitimate interest" in a child may petition the appropriate court for visitation. This includes extended family members but could also apply to others who have been a part of the child's life, like a step-parent or foster parent. However, the Court will consider the custodial parent's position on the visitation and give a great deal of deference to it. The overall view on any type of custody or visitation petition is always what is in the best interests of the child.

If you are a grandparent and want to petition for visitation with a grandchild where the parent is denying you contact, we may be able to help. Contact me or call my office at 757-320-2010 to schedule an appointment to discuss your situation.

Edrie Pfeiffer
Connect with me
Edrie Pfeiffer, Bankruptcy & Divorce Attorney