How do I name a guardian for my children?

If you have children under the age of eighteen, you should decide who you want to care for your children if you are no longer able to.  Of course, if a surviving parent lives with the minor children (and has custody over them) he or she automatically continues to remain their sole guardian.  This is true despite the fact others may be named as the guardian in your estate planning documents.  You should name at least one alternate guardian in case the primary guardian cannot serve or is not appointed by the court.  



Find this article helpful?  Like us on Facebook and receive our updates on a regular basis!