It’s that time of year again when the new college semester begins for either you or your child who is in college. Here are some great ways to save when either buying educational materials or generally saving some cash in college.
- Buy or rent used textbooks and sell last semester books back. Another great tip is, talk to other students in your programs or classes who have had a previous class and see if you can buy the textbook from them for cheaper, or borrow it and return it to them at the end of the semester.
- Shop where they offer student discounts.
- Attend the local gym on campus verses off campus to save money.
- Don’t buy unnecessary school supplies. Why buy cumbersome notebooks when you can type on your laptop. Most all professors these days allow students to have their laptops in the classroom.
- Take advantage of the campus activities rather than spending money and going out. You will not only be able to save, but you will be able to connect with the campus community and a better college experience. Many campuses have an array of museums, offer free movie nights and other social events.
- Skip expensive Spring break trips and look into alternate activities such as volunteering.
- Make your own coffee in the morning instead of buying at the local coffee shop.
- Consider applying for a resident advisor. This usually comes with free room and board.
- Never take a loan out that is not related to your education.
- If you take up a part time job while in college, open up a savings account that earns interest.
Enjoy the new college semester with these great savings tips!